Acorns Nursery employs a dedicated chef, with experience in catering for children to produce all nursery meals in-house. The chef devises menus on a 3 weekly rolling basis and in line with the Children’s Food Trust’s ‘Eat Better Start Better’ guidelines.
The nursery will ensure:
- All meals and snacks provided are nutritious and varied, avoiding large quantities of fat, sugar, salt, preservatives and colourings.
- Snacks are offered with a free flow system.
- Children’s medical and personal dietary requirements are respected and catered for.
- Menus are planned in advance and the food offered is wholesome and balanced.
- A multi-cultural diet is offered to ensure that children from all backgrounds encounter familiar tastes and that all children have the opportunity also to try unfamiliar foods.
- The dietary rules of religious group and also vegans/vegetarians are known and met in appropriate ways.
If a child has a main meal, the following elements are included:
- Protein for growth
- Carbohydrates for energy
- Essential minerals and vitamins in raw food, salads and fruits
- Milk provided for children is whole and pasteurised
Snacks consist of fruit and every meal has a variety of vegetables. This promotes healthy eating and ensures children benefit from a balanced and healthy diet – Ofsted 2015